May 6, 2010

This post is brought to you by the number 6!

We've got numbers on our mind. I feel like I'm living in one giant episode of Sesame Street. You know the part where the numbers morph into common objects. i.e. a person will be sitting on the park bench and the  street light will turn into a number one or the bus wheels turn into zeros. Well, that's what it's like at our house, only every door, now has number.
You can find Nathan in room 6, Jack is in room 3, the door to the garage is number 2... you get the idea. Now when a guest says, "Where is your bathroom?" I can say, "Oh it's room number 1 right around the corner.
Or when it's time to leave, I can say, "Let us walk you out through door number 4."
You may be wondering why? Well, it's our new learning experiment. We're practicing "living with numbers". We're hoping if Nate sees them everyday and we refer to them often, they'll come a little more naturally to him.

So now in the middle of the night I can say to Doug, "Who is that crying? Is it coming from Room 6 or Room 3?"  It might feel a little clinical, but we could always benefit from a little more routine in our house. Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea if we treated home more like a Dr's. office. We could install clip boards on the outside of the doors, so when we enter their rooms we get an instant status update. "Oh I see your chart says you're having a bad day, ...I'll be back in 30 minutes."

Enough creative ideas for the day....I'm off to the Mother's Day party at preschool. My favorite time of the year. I can't wait to hear what Nate said about me. It's always a surprise!

1 comment:

Anne said...

Your life just makes me laugh! I love your stories and know they are not embellished in any way- THIS IS the way it is xoxo