February 2, 2010

I'd like to thank the Academy

No I didn't win the Next Food Network Star, or even the Biggest Loser (thankfully). I was awarded a very distinguished Digi Medal.
I like to think of myself as a pretty decent cook, at least I can follow a detailed recipe. Lately I've been trying to cook dinners that are a little healthier, kid and Doug friendly. (That's a hard combo by the way.)  God knows I've made enough chicken and spaghetti to feed a small country, so I like to mix it up.

Before I get in to the award ceremony, let me give you some background. Yesterday Doug started a new job. He's been working out of the house for the past six months, which gave us the ability to eat dinner together. His new commute won't lend itself to eating at 5:30pm, the time the kid's alarm goes off.  I swear when I walk in the door at 5pm, an alarm goes off in the kid's brains and/or stomachs that says feed me instantly or I will melt to the floor in a puddle and make cooking oh so pleasant.

As I was driving home, I  thought, uh oh I don't have my "little helper" to entertain the kids while I cook. So last night, I threw away the notion of healthy, and decided "quick" was the priority.
The kids ate pigs in a blanket, and tater tots. I'm not proud, but it was fast, easy, and I managed to ward off any meltdowns.....and the best part......my medal.

As Nate was smothering his mini hotdogs in ketchup he looked over at me and said, "Mom, you are the best cook in the WORLD....you win a Digi Medal".

I was shocked, I wasn't expecting that, so I hadn't prepared my speech. If I had, it would go something like this.
 "I can't believe I won, it was just an honor to be nominated. I mean look at the nominees, other frazzled, tired moms just trying to make a quick dinner. The category was so competitive. I really need to thank my true heroes, Hebrew National and Ore-Ida. They were my inspiration, and have been there for me in hard times. I'd also like to thank Special Agent Oso for teaching my child the proper criteria for awards, and of course my family because without them my true talent of opening a box, and setting the oven to 400 would go to waste.

Wow, after an award like that, I will need to choose my dinners wisely. This could open up so many doors for me. For now.... I'll just try to stay away from the Paparazzi!

3 comments:

Julie Johnson said...

What do you have to do to get Mother of the Year????

Deb said...

Will you cook me dinner?? I love tater tots....

Anne said...

I'm so PROUD!!! xoxo