July 5, 2010

Move over Thanksgiving

I used to rank my holidays.

Top 3
1. Thanksgiving
2. 4th of July
3. Halloween

Frankly though it was always a tie between #1 and #2, but this year I've decided it's time for change. Move over mashed potatoes and turkey....the hotdogs are now on top!

Since Summer is my favorite season, it only makes sense to put 4th of July on top. Thanksgiving is just one day, but 4th of July is an entire weekend of summer time fun. The beach, barbeques, fireworks, parades, family, friends, swimming. Really???? How can Thankgiving even compare. It's so obvious to me. I feel the need to apologize.

4th of July please accept my apology. I've kept you at #2 for too long! And to Thanksgiving, I'm sorry I've lead you along for all these years.

When I was a kid, my sister and I would decorate our bikes and ride in a parade around my grandparents neighborhood. Afterward we head to their pool to bbq and swim. At night we would head home just in time to light our own fireworks, (the days when they were still legal).
Which by the way on a side note, I think I'm happy they may be illegal now that I have kids. It's amazing how perspectives can change when you learn more about burn units.

We celebrated this year by picking my parents up at the airport on Saturday morning, decorating the kid's bikes for the Menlo Park parade, and then heading to the beach for dinner.
When we moved to Menlo Park I heard there was a community parade, with a party at the park afterward. I knew we picked the perfect city. Watching Nate and Jack ride in the parade with just as much excitement as Julie and I did, is a perfect way to celebrate the holiday.
The tradition took 30 years off, but it's back in the swing now. It was a perfect summer weekend, and it's not even over yet. We have one more day of pure summer happiness.

2 comments:

Julie Johnson said...

Daniel and Nate would have been twins in their blue 4th of July shirts. Looks like a lot of fun. My question is...Would the 4th of July still win if Thanksgiving was in Maui???

Natalie Chilson said...

I just had time to catch up on your blog. As usual, I am wishing there were more to read:)