June 22, 2010

Longest Day of the Year

Thankfully yesterday was the longest day of the year....and I needed every last second.
Recovering from a fabulous, but too short, weekend in O.C. with my family, we started our Monday a little tired. We arrived home the night before at 11:00pm. The kids were exhausted, to the point where I made sure they were breathing.  They typically wake at 6:00AM on the dot....every SINGLE day. Obviously they were still in vacation mode. Jack woke at 7:30AM and Nate at 8:30AM. (Oh how I wish that was a Saturday morning.)

After two fun filled days in the jacuzzi with numerous bbq's, I had to rip the band-aid off...back to reality! My day started with two meetings back to back, and then a road trip to downtown San Jose. I crammed all that in before noon, in order to make it back to pick up Jack for his 2 yr old check-up. That's really when the fun started.

It's important for me to set the stage, so that you can fully understand the "length" of my day. It was 85 degrees outside, and the Dr.'s office didn't have A/C. Our visit started with a weigh in, and a height check. (Simple...you would think.)  Jack wasn't a fan of the scale. He jumped off after a brief second. He melted into a puddle when they tried to measure his height...so he was 3 inches shorter than he should have been.

When Dr. Nikki arrived.....the weight and height didn't measure up, big surprise! We needed a re-do...so she called in BACK-UP. It took three adults to hold Jack firmly to the table. By this point, Jack was chanting....I go....I go....I go.....(Or maybe that was my inner voice.) Next was our second weigh in. I held Jack on the scale and then passed him off to Dr. Nikki while they weighed me. Meanwhile Jack screamed "Mommy" while the poor Dr. tried to console him. The nurse subtracted the two weights to get Jack's.

Weighing in at a whopping 35lbs, and reaching new heights at 36 3/4 inches....we are officially raising a giant. The best part is that Dr. Nikki believes he will be experiencing a growth spurt soon. Growth spurt??? Did I hear that correctly?

I won't go into the details of how we checked his ears and gave him a shot. ...it takes too much energy. All I will say was that I was sweating....and Jack wasn't happy!

The highlight of the visit, was a grape lollypop. When we got in the car, he looked at me and said, "Lollypop good. Thank you! That's the moment I forgot the past 30 minutes of pain and sweat.

We ended our day at the park, where Jack fell and hit his head on our nature hike. We had to leave to get ice, but first we needed to get our soccer ball. We left it at the playground a few minutes before, but unfortunately it was gone by the time we got back.

We finally made it home for bathtime, and bed...for EVERYBODY!

It really did feel like the longest day of the year!


2 comments:

Anne said...

I hardly know what to say- You definitely bend time and space- Thank Goodness for Moms!

Julie Johnson said...

I'm exhausted after that story. I think I will go take a nap.