May 2, 2010

May Day

Dear April,
Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Kindly,
A flower seeking individual.

To celebrate May's arrival, we went to the annual Woodside May Day parade. I don't fully understand the holiday..something about a May pole, children, and the arrival of Spring. I'm sure I could Google it, but I don't really have the time. I'm just a casual observer who is looking for something fun to do on a Saturday.

The kids loved the horses, the firetrucks, and of course the candy that was thrown from every float. Grandma and Grandpa from "the woods", (that's how Nate refers to them.) live within walking distance to downtown, so we met at their house first and then walked to the parade.


We celebrated the arrival of Spring on Sunday as well. It was time to let our "beloved" butterflies go, for two reasons.
1. Jack was terrified of them. He couldn't eat breakfast until I moved them into another room.
2. I didn't want the responsibility of having to feed them. It's just enough to remember to feed the four of us. I was feeling incredibly guilty that I hadn't changed their orange slices yet.

I have to admit, I was a little sad when they flew away. I was comforted though by our oldest son who hasn't quite learned the concept of money yet. He said, "Don't worry mom, we can just buy some new ones!" So much for the lesson on metamorphosis.

However, I was reassured of his gentle nature when he picked the butterflies out of the net and let them go. He instructed me that we needed to find some flowers and a safe place. He had no problem putting his hand into the  net. Jack on the other hand stood by with a safety bat, just in case he needed to take any one of them out.

Spring has sprung....and we are thankful!


No comments: